Through Laura's Lens
- a blog about photographing our beautiful world -
Thursday, January 21, 2010
“Winter Beauty” Is that an oxymoron?
To me, it depends on the weather. When there is a series of gray days with little color in the landscape, and I have to bundle up my ears against the cold, that is not beautiful.
But winter beauty is:
- a blanket of snow quieting the world,
- the sun coming up (or out from behind clouds) onto a snowy landscape,
- the silhouette of a deciduous tree against the blue,
- trees laden with snow,
- a leaf caught by a storm and now lying partially covered by snow crystals,
- mist that shrouds the ground and creates an interesting sense of perspective.